Did anyone else’s ex introduce them to the music festival scene?

Hey everyone! I’ve been kinda nervous to make this post but I’m curious to see if anyone can relate to my experience and has any insight. My ex-boyfriend introduced me to the jam band show and music festival scene a couple years back. He took me to dozens of shows in our city and some bands I just liked, some I loved. He broke up with me just about a year ago and since then the only musical event I attended was Resonance 2021, my very first festival. It was a magical experience. I had already seen a few bands there so I had a hunch I’d have a good time. But I had absolutely no idea just how magical of a time it would truly be. I had a few close friends with me there too, who liked EDM/bass way more but even they were blown away.

Okay, so, back to my post. It was so surreal enjoying the scene without the very person who introduced me to this all. It was empowering to revel in the music, visuals, psychedelics, and community without him. At the same time, it felt like something was missing (him). I had no idea what a jam band was or what jamtronica (my favorite) was until he took me to a show. So in a way, it was like I didn’t know what it was like to have a good time without him there by my side. I felt ominous, guilty, and anxious for enjoying it. Like it was his thing for the taking, and I was being unoriginal and copying him.

It’s dreamlike stepping into this community without him. I keep thinking, “I want to go to shows, but at what cost?” I will see him, his group of friends, or even worse, see him and another girl who isn’t me. But at the same time, I feel like I’d be missing out if I didn’t see at least some of the bands that I really have grown fond of and feel special listening to. It’s like, why give one person have so much power and control over me who isn’t even in my life anymore?

So here’s my question(s). Did anyone else’s ex introduce them to the music festival scene? Has anyone else encountered these problems before? How did you deal with them?

submitted by /u/Haelrezzip
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/festivals/comments/pu4siu/did_anyone_elses_ex_introduce_them_to_the_music/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Etymotic Foam vs. Custom Earplugs